There are a number of reasons you want to block a website, whether you want to block access to certain websites for children or want to block because of a computer shared for someone or people who use it, or whatever. Blocking websites on Mac is easy, you can use screen time to keep tabs on Mac usage as well as a set of parental control tools to restrict content.
The Screen Time feature on Mac is a new feature and is available in macOS Catalina or later versions. If your Mac is using an older version, you won’t be able to use the Screen Time feature. Using Screen Time limits user access to the web, website blocking can be useful when you don’t want other users on your Mac to access websites like social media, networking social, adult content, etc. Here’s how to block websites on Mac.
To use Screen Time, make sure your Mac is up to date, it needs macOS Catalina or later, otherwise it won’t work. Once you’ve updated macOS Catalina, follow these steps
- Head to the Apple icon in the corner of the top menu bar and click on it.
- Click on System Preferences to enter system preferences.
- Click on Screen time under the System Preferences window to continue.
- In the next window, click on the Content and confidentiality option located on the left side.
- If the content and privacy restrictions are disabled, enable them by clicking the ‘Light up…‘button.
- Now choose the option Limit adult websites to automatically block a bunch of adult websites that are in Apple’s database. However, you can add a specific website of your own such as a social media website or a social networking website, or anything else by clicking on the Personalize.
- Under the Limit section at the bottom, click the (+) icon.
- Type the website URL to block or restrict viewing and click OK.
- You can add as many websites as you want. Once you do, visit the website by launching the Safari browser, you will not be able to access it.
That’s about it, you know how to block websites on your Mac. You can also block websites in Safari on your iPhone and iPad. On top of that, delete all history on Safari to erase all traces left in the browser in case you have visited before.
Note that this also applies to third-party browsers such as Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox. If you think the user knows how to remove blocked websites while visiting Screen Time, it is better to use Screen Time password.
Learn more about Mac Tutorials, Guides, Tips & Tricks as well as Windows. For updates on the latest smartphones and technologies, follow us on our social media profiles.