Bad smells from a freezer, rodent droppings found in two restaurants and flies landing in food closed five restaurants in South Florida last week.
Among the closed restaurants were the Tropical Island Restaurant in Boynton Beach, La Granja Parilla and Seafood in Miami, Q’Bola Café in Wellington, California Pizza Kitchen in Pembroke Lakes and Talay Thai & Japanese in Pompano Beach.
The South Florida Sun Sentinel typically highlights restaurant inspections in Broward and Palm Beach counties by the Florida Department of Business and Professional Regulation. We’re eliminating hundreds of restaurant and bar inspections that take place every week and highlighting places closed for “high priority violations,” such as improper food temperatures or dead cockroaches.
Sun Sentinel readers can browse the full reports from Palm Beach, Broward, and Miami-Dade counties via our state inspection cardupdated weekly (usually Mondays) with new data pulled from the Florida DBPR website.
Any restaurant that fails a state inspection must remain closed until it passes a follow-up. If you have spotted a possible violation and wish to file a complaint, contact Florida DBPR here. (But please don’t contact us: The Sun Sentinel does not inspect restaurants.)
400 E. Boynton Beach Blvd.
Ordered closed: November 9; reopened on November 10
Why: 21 offenses (six of them high priority) closed this restaurant in Boynton Beach.
Inspectors ordered a halt to the sale after finding at least five live flies landing on cooked fish and fried plantains in the kitchen. They also saw a fly on the microwave and another in a pot containing beef stew.
Other violations included “bad smells from freezers”, rice being stored on the floor at the cooking line, and ground beef thawing next to the mop sink outside the back door. The raw ground beef was also more “stew cooked ready to eat in a chest freezer” on the outside. Inspectors also noted that the restaurant cooked too much food and was unable to store it properly.
They were allowed to reopen the next day.
127 SE Second Ave.
Ordered closed: November 8; reopened on November 9
Why: The inspectors ordered this establishment temporarily closed after noting 10 violations. Two high-priority violations include 15 live cockroaches in the kitchen under a cooler and the vacuum cleaner missing a room.
They also observed dead cockroaches under the dishwasher, in front of the cold room and above the dishwasher. Additionally, the ceilings/ceiling tiles/vents were “soiled with accumulated food debris, grease, dust, or mold-like substances.”
They were allowed to reopen a day later after passing inspection standards.
10300 Forest Hill Blvd.
Ordered closed: November 8; reopened on November 10
Why: 10 violations, including two high priority, temporarily closed this restaurant.
Inspectors discovered more than 180 rodent droppings at the restaurant by the rear dishwasher/prep area and inside the cabinets near the front counter prep area. Food was also kept at the wrong temperature with the chimichurri kept at the wrong temperature for three hours. An operator corrected the problem on the spot, inspectors said.
Other violations were: chips stored inside the bathroom and trays blocking the hand basin sink, making it inaccessible to employees. The operator corrected on the spot.
The restaurant was allowed to reopen after a follow-up inspection.
11401 Boul. Pines.
Ordered closed: November 7; reopened on November 9
Why: Inspectors have temporarily closed this restaurant after 16 offenses (including four high priority). Among the high-priority violations: Employees touched ready-to-eat food with their bare hands. An inspector saw a waiter place berries in a customer’s drink with his bare hands.
About 75 live flies were found landing on walls and landing on “pizza boxes, coffee in sealed bags, sanitized cups, plates and utensils in the service/side prep station.”
Flies were also flying around the pizzeria and landing on dining room tables and seats.
There was also an “accumulation of dead or trapped birds, insects, rodents or other pests in the control devices”. They found over 100 dead flies on two insect strips hanging from the ceiling in the dry storage area above “single-serve pizza boxes, coffee sealed in bags and boxes”.
The Eat Beat – Restaurants, Bars and Recipes
Twice a week
Dining out, cooking, and all the South Florida restaurant news and information you need.
They reopened two days later after passing inspection standards.
2233 E. Atlantic Blvd.
Ordered closed: November 8
Why: 11 offenses (five of them high priority) temporarily closed this restaurant.
They found 35 dead flies under the microwave under the sushi bar area, which the operator cleaned up on the spot. Three dead cockroaches were also found in areas like a small fridge under the sushi bar and behind the counter.
High priority violations included raw pet food not being stored properly in the cooler. Raw shrimp was found on wontons in a cooler and raw chicken was on wontons inside the freezer.
Rodent activity was also present as over 100 rodent droppings were found in the restaurant: in the floor storage area and in the top shelf of the freezer. Other droppings were found under the microwaves in the kitchen and on the top shelf of the dishwasher.